Saturday, November 25, 2006

First Steps

wow ... I've had quite a few posts this week, I guess I've had quite a bit on my mind ...

Today was officially my first day in something completely new.

I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive at first. I didn't exactly know what to expect, but all I can say is that I'm glad I went. It wasn't quite what I thought it would be but at the same time it's exactly what I wanted. The kids were great, and although they were a little hesitant, some of them did warm up to me by the end. (I think something about me being shorter than some of them had something to do with it ;)) Granted it's obvious that some ... maybe most of them, have issues that can't be understood in the short amount of time that I spent with them, I think as long as I'm honest we'll come to understand and respect each other.

For those who are curious, the center is in a part of an old church. They provide computers and internet, there's a pool table, fooseball, weights, arts and crafts, a small kitchen ... and a variety of other items to keep the kids entertained. The center is open 7 days a week at set hours. Every day has a different "main" activity associated with it. For example tomorrow is dancing, Sunday is basketball, Tuesdays are cooking, etc.

After some initial awkwardness I spent most of the night talking and doodling. Apparently the kids were impressed with my drawing skills, so I spent a majority of my time teaching some of them how to draw waves, flowers, and faces. I also helped a 12 year old draw a train for her new baby cousin, and a 16 yr. old understand her english assignment. Interspersed throughout the fun and games ... I observed ways in which the kids interacted with each other, spoke to them about their day, as well as learned how to broach some sensitive subjects. They're all really good kids who have just had some tough breaks ... whether it's a broken home, anger issues, being in and out of foster care, etc ... but with all they are going through they somehow are succeeding, and I think a lot of the credit goes to the volunteers at the center.

Overall I would have to say it was ... exciting ... liberating ... and definitely very grounding. I guess you never realize how great you had it as a kid until you aren't one. I do know I'll be back, and I know it will be more than once a week.

First steps ... all things have to start somewhere, and I'm pretty pleased with these ones ...

No comments: