Wednesday, November 22, 2006

an update on changing the world ...

Thought I would take the time to give an update on the progress of my plan ... it's only been about a week now (Wednesday November 15th) since I first thought of this ... thing, idea, epiphany ... or whatever else one might call it.

Anyways in that week I've contacted a friend about helping out at a teen center, as well as being available to help with all charity events, etc. I'm actually supposed to start this Friday which is pretty ... awesome (for lack of a better word) ... but this is just a band aid soultion in terms of my overall goals. Although, I am hoping it exposes me to a number of ways in which help can be provided, as well as different causes.

In looking ahead further down the road, I've also been researching various organizations. Some are local and some are international ... either way I'm open to both. The list so far includes the YMCA, Montreal Children's Hospital, United Way, UNICEF, Habitat for Humanity ... and then a few more local community care groups, and some other large organizations. I'm still looking into as many as I can ... My main goal by trying to volunteer with some of the more well established organizations, is that I hope to get into a position where I can get a better view of how they run. What is needed, what is involved, how does it all come together ... between the community, funds being dispersed, etc. I guess you can say that I view it as an education. I hope to be volunteering at one of these larger organizations by early next year.

Overall my plan is proceeding at ... an acceptable pace. I'm obviously not going to change the world over night ... No ... first I need to gain more experience, get a better understanding of how everything works, and make the necessary contacts. From there I think it will be easier to set something up, as well as recruit like minded individuals. So what is the plan? It's still on a 5-10 year timeline although, I'm definitely pushing for 5. I hope to have narrowed my focus on what "cause" etc. by the end of year one, although ideally I would like to be able to handle many at once. Kind of like a different branch of the same organization, each branch dealing with a specific cause but sharing the same pool of resources. As of right now I'm leaning heavily towards a non-profit organization, that has more of a global reach ... but realistically I am willing to start local. It has to be self sustaining ... as much as possible I would like to avoid having to depend on grants, and fundraisers. In the beginning I imagine I would split time between that and work, and hopefully by the end of the 10 years I'll have enough capital, time, etc. to move over permanently ... of course these are all just ideas, things may happen sooner ;) ... call me crazy if you want, but wish me luck.

On a side note, it'll be interesting to see where "this" is in a year from now ...

No comments: